Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oh, this should be good.

Garmin is releasing a phone!

NuviPhone

Here are the basics so far, as its not on their site, no availability or pricing yet:

Quad band GSM, 3G + HSDPA, 3.5" touchscreen, WiFi, html browser, IM client for multiple networks(pidgin/trillian-esque), boatload of google apps preset, and obviously, GPS in classic garmin form.

Now, I'm just throwing it out there, but I love Garmin. I remember talking to them at interbike, they have some people like us working there.. willing to throw out ideas. Have you seen the Garmin 705? It's all the features of the 305 bike one, but this time with a color screen. It has a miniSD card to load maps. Interacts with powermeters. has real mapping options.

Now I notice that the so-far spec list does not include a camera, but I can see the zoom and capture button right on the case, so thats there. I am betting there will be a geotagging option too, which I am really becoming a big fan of. Its a nice combo of things, I'm using it on the Flickr and its neat. Especially since its combined with google and has sat view...anyways.

I would also imagine a removable media slot - a lot of those garmins have mp3 capability that way.

Damn. They were saying its the iPhone killer. We've already determined many phones did that a while ago.

This one is just cool.

1 comment:

Greg Combz said...

Yes, camera is confirmed and the phone automatically sites coordinates with every picture taken.
Very cool indeed, can't wait to see it.