Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Integrated lighting solutions

Here are a couple ideas I've had lately.

one
I've been having trouble falling asleep lately. I've been restless. I lay down, and feel my heart racing and my breaths coming at intervals way to close. My eyes don't stay shut.
Last night, I wished there was water flowing all around me. So my idea here was to have a really dark [dim] blue light or something with some sort of water effect projected all around my bed's area. It would of course be dark [dim] enough that it would not effect my ability to fall asleep, but it would create the necessary shadows to give a watery effect to my surroundings. I honestly don't know why water came to me, or why I came do desire it so confidently last night, but it became absolutely necessary to me last night. I fell asleep really frustrated as a result. This caused my sleep to be light. I woke up quickly and abruptly at the sound of my alarm. Awake as I was, it was not the result of total rest, rather the effect of a short, light nap.
Now, I would ideally like to tie this idea into an alarm. 10 minutes before my alarm wakes me up, the light needs to be off so that I can wake up rather than be coaxed back into sleep. This might also be achieved by a light sensor, but depending on the weather and when I get up, that is an unreliable switch. Another thought is just to use one of those timers you can put on any plug and set it to turn on at like 11 or midnight or something and turn off at about 6am. I only wake up earlier than that for special circumstances so a daily time like that is probably totally acceptable.

two
the spotlighing, will be continued later, in another installation.

4 comments:

john said...

that timer bit is a pretty solid idea. also, see if you can make and stick a schedule - since starting at strat, i've been going to sleep by midnight and waking up at 7.

I know it works now, because last night I got tired at 11:30pm, (stayed up, ooooops)... but.. I woke without an alarm 5 minutes before it would have gone off. at the moment i woke up, I felt just fine and got right out of... off of the joint I was at. now mind you, two hours later I am ready to pass out because i only slept for an hour. but. try the schedule, you will feel awesomer.

Greg Combz said...

well, I have to get up at a different time every day, so a day to day wakeup isn't really in my cards or whatever.

john said...

well sure, but you could always get up at a time that works for both days. like if you have class on tuesday at 9am, and wednesday at noon, the trick is not waking up at a different time each day. get up at 7.45 or 8, and your one class is covered, and then the other day, still get up at that time, but maybe do hw or whatever until class. haha, remember the days of the warehouse while colo wasnt here? lets face it, we went out there every night at the same time, pretty much even if we had nothing to do. its like that, but in the morning. I forgot what morning looked like at one point. now, i can see the light changing. also if you feel like getting up a notch earlier, i'll follow suit and we could rock breakfasts some place or something. I might be down on that.

holla.

Greg Combz said...

hrm. Well, ill try it after break I suppose