Tuesday, December 18, 2007

integration of lighting solutions II

two
This is an image I came across on Coolhunting. You can find out more about it's origin here. The nature of this work inspired this lighting solution as a sort of "home gallery".

I have a flashlight from a company called Inova [parent company Emissive Energy Corporation]. They started off pretty small, offering just a couple lights, one of which we carried back when I worked for Chase-Pitkin. I see now that they've grown into a respectable business making products for Victorinox and military/law enforcement applications.

Anyway, I'm getting off track (probably because their products are so awesome). The point is that the little flashlight I have, the X1 (old design) uses one AA battery and one LED combined with a brilliant lens to make a very concentrated spotlight beam, like nothing I have ever seen before in such a compact light. Granted, its not the best for forest navigation, but if you needed to stay relatively unseen, this light would allow you to do so. Now, if I could make a little wall or ceiling mounted unit with one, two, three, or as many light sources as required, I could spot out different items in a given space. It would be almost invisible in terms of overall room lighting, but would add additional light to specific points - just like any spotlight.

So how does this tie in with that art work? Well, like I said - home gallery. This print caused me specifically to visualize one item called out in an environment, like the way the light shines on the house. Imagine if you had a few small pieces of artwork about your space, be it sculpture or a wall print, you could spot them out with a very unobtrusive light source. Even with the room lights off they would hardly light a room on their own while doing their job. You would need to be able to control the brightness and spot diameter to perfect its effect. I see this as something I would use in both the lounge as well as my own room, or living room. It could have so many uses, as I begin to think of it. In my living room, for example, I could put a dim spot on my A/V equipment for easy control in a dark room without it necessarily affecting the required darkness for movie/tv viewing. If done right, with full adjustments, this multipurpose light would be so infinitely useful for so many things.

1 comment:

john said...

greg, this was the entire idea that got lighting solutions started. Remember? My old apartment, LED's dangling from the cathedral ceiling bit.. hang em down like until they are just over things in order to have focus, as well as change the feel of depth n stuffs. I could almost sketch it... maybe i will.

thought - using things like that little flashlight, and I have one too, you could make an extremely flush ceiling mount with rotation in 2 axis... you know? and just put sticky tape on the back.

or use the locline. thats the flexcy sorta plastic stuff for coolant hoses on cnc machines.

sketch shortly.